Are you Familiar with the Process and Ready to Schedule? Click Here to Book Now!
We are licensed by the State of Maryland to provide Baltimore County Rental Inspection services for landlords. If you own a property with 1-6 units that you intend to rent in Baltimore County, each rental unit must be registered or approved for exemption by Baltimore County before tenants move in to avoid being fined. This includes Section 8 and BRHP-assisted properties. Inspections are valid for three years.
Baltimore County Rental Inspection Process
Please review the Exemption information on Baltimore County’s website. If any of these conditions apply, you do not need our rental inspection services and can follow their instructions. Please note that in May 2018, licensing exemptions were eliminated for dwellings not connected to the public sewer and for units solely occupied by persons other than the owner’s grandparents, parents, children or grandchildren.
Make sure your rental property complies with all the Baltimore County Zoning Regulations. To locate your Zoning Designation, please visit My Neighborhood.
Have a rental inspection performed by us. Please review this list of items below taken from the Inspection Sheet (PDF) before scheduling your rental inspection:
- SMOKE DETECTORS: Functional smoke detectors must be located in the hallway outside of sleeping areas and on every level of the dwelling unit including the basement. All smoke detectors must be hardwired with battery back-up and interconnected so they alarm together and made by the same manufacturer and less than 10 years old. Different configurations are required depending on the number of units within the building and how recently the home was constructed or renovated.
- ELECTRICAL WIRES: Electrical wires may not be visible in living areas. This includes open junction boxes, missing cover plates, missing circuit breakers, etc.
- PLUMBING: There must be hot and cold running water in kitchens and bathrooms. There can be no leaks below sinks and the toilets must flush.
- BASEMENT SLEEPING AREAS: Bedrooms in basements must have a secondary means of escape that is either a basement window with a minimum 5.7 square foot opening (sill height of 44 inches or less from the floor) OR basement door with a thumb turn dead bolt that goes directly to the exterior.
- FURNACE: The furnace must be either operational or because of outside temperatures it is unable to be tested.
- STAIR RAILINGS: A railing must be present for interior and exterior steps with more than 3 risers
- CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS: Carbon monoxide detectors are present on every level of the home and audible in sleeping areas.
- OTHER CONCERNS: I can note any other readily observable problems that I feel may represent an immediate threat to the health or safety of an occupant.
Read the regulations in the pamphlets for the Fair Housing Law and the Maryland Accessibility Act. You will be required to attest that you have reviewed and understand them before completing your application.
To apply using the online application for a Baltimore County rental registration, you will need the following iand a Visa or Mastercard to pay applicable fees:
- Baltimore County Rental Inspection Sheet (PDF) which is provided by us along with photos of the property.
- Carbon Monoxide Alarm Verification (PDF) which is completed by you and the tenant.
- Lead Inspection Certificate for Homes Built Before 1978.
Frequently Asked Questions about Baltimore City Rental Inspection
Can anyone perform a rental inspection?
No, only a state-licensed home inspector registered as a Baltimore City Rental Inspector is authorized to perform these inspections.
Do you perform lead paint inspections?
Yes we can, often at the same time as a Baltimore City Rental Inspection, at a discounted rate. See our Lead Paint Inspection page for more information.
The information on this page was compiled from a variety of documents provided by the Baltimore City Department of Housing and Community Development. Their website includes some additional information about the program and may contain information that has been updated.
Services offered by DS Home Inspection Services, LLC: Home Inspections | Pre-Listing Home Inspections | Warranties | Termite Inspection | Radon Testing | Mold Inspection | Baltimore City Rental Property Inspection | Baltimore County Rental Property Inspection | New Construction 11 Month Home Warranty Inspection | New Construction Residential Inspection | Investor's Inspection
DS Home Inspection Services, LLC serves clients across Fort Washington, Temple Hills, Oxon Hills, Accokeek, Clinton, Hyattsville, District Heights, Capitol Heights, Crofton, Laurel, Brandywine, Bowie, Bethesda, Rockville, La Plata, Waldorf, White Plains, Bryans Road, Hanover, Baltimore, Parkville, Towson, Maryland, Washington, D.C., Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax, Herndon, Lorton, Vienna, Falls Church, Woodbridge, Virginia.